Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hmmm, apple pie or lamp oil?

Wow!  I can't quite believe I'm doing this... putting down thoughts for the whole world to see (at least my whole world).  Thanks Bethany, you've given me the courage... may this be as satisfying as one of your brownie cookies.

Which now that I've used the food analogy I'm wishing this was named something different, like apple pie.  Food for the soul.  Something familiar and comfortable.  Something I'm comfortable producing, creating, because I know it is good.  Enough people through the years have told me so.  My children will pronounce "Mom makes the best apple pie".  And apple pie is humble.

Instead I chose to call this lamp oil.  Given all of 45 seconds of thought as I sit here half awake wanting, more than I've wanted anything in a long time, to get started to write down some of the the gizillion thoughts that are in my head.  So obviously not something profound I've been chewing on for a while.  It was just kind of at the end of the rabbit trail that started out as "what do I want this to be?".  In my group of creative champions (not as in we are champions - winners, accomplished, etc, but champions - as in they champion my cause, the cause of art, my art) we have been talking about the parable of the oil, and pondered what this oil is. And although we've  a number of thoughts two in particular stand out.  Oil creates light, and as a follower of Christ, light has such import and meaning.  Another thought is that perhaps the oil represents what our hearts will worship, and my hope is that this blog will illuminate Jesus.  That although much will be personal; what is going on in my life, my heart, it will always lead to my light and my hope, the one I worship, Jesus.  

So at this moment I would have preferred the humility of apple pie, rather than the lofty goal of being a conduit of light, light that will expose my human condition, light that might break into your darkness, hopefully the light of the gospel of Christ.  But you know apple pie smells good, and tastes good, and makes me happy.  Light draws me in. Pulling in my driveway late last night it welcomed me home, illuminated what was inside, gave me peace and hope.  So a happy tummy or a hopeful heart?  I guess I'll go for the hopeful heart, at least this time.

3 comments:

Tennessee Dance Arts Conservatory said...

it took me..well until I read what your blog said to realize it said lamp oil. that's why I'm pooh. "stuffed with fluff". I don't think anyone reads my blog, but I still tend to post..

Jennie Schut said...

Beautifully said, my friend! Reading your blog this morning sent me in the direction of worship rather than indifference and self-pity. My day will be different because of the light of truth.....thank you!
Jennie Schut

Bethany said...

YAY! I so look forward to reading the thoughts in your head. ;)

I have already bookmarked you, so keep it up!