Thursday, June 19, 2008

Life Gets in the Way

I had hoped when I started blogging that it would become a daily habit, that abundant words and wisdom would flow out of me, a wealth of good reading.  How is it that everyday life so frequently gets in the way of this?  I guess the solution may be to get up early before anyone else, before the list of to do's needs to be started, before my mind is racing making it difficult to sit and focus on the computer screen and words that aren't quite flowing.   But its summer time, and summer time for me is staying up late and watching movies and sleeping in, in the morning.  Used to be the most urgent thing was getting up to feed the kids breakfast and to get to the pool before it got too crowded.   We have yet to go swimming this summer.  Each day I say tomorrow will be the day, and life gets in the way.  This summer has been many, many days spent at the hospital with my dad, then home trying to catch up on a months worth of things undone.  All of this is not a complaint, just an acknowledgement that the best laid plans are usually interrupted.  I am not in control of my days, thankfully the One who is is faithful and good.

So today I hope to finish a few more things for Olives room, organize my piles of stuff someplace other than the dining room table, and maybe even clean my bedroom.   Good stuff, though not very exciting.  But as I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate these simple things, things that bring a bit of order to the chaos, things that communicate to those around me that I care for them, things that slow me down and give me room to pray and ponder as I work at them.  So off I go to finally get dressed, clean off the kitchen counter, and start, maybe even finish a project or two here at home.  But its more than likely that something will pop up to interrupt, life getting in the way, and thats okay.

No comments: