Saturday, February 14, 2015

We Are the Sheep of His Pasture

Jubilate Deo. Psalm c. 

O Be joyful in the Lord, all ye lands; serve the Lord with gladness, and come before his presence with a song. Be ye sure that the Lord he is God; it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. O go your way into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise; be thankful unto him, and speak good of his Name. For the Lord is gracious, his mercy is everlasting: and his truth endureth from generation to generation. BCP 1928





I have been reading Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy, the latest selection by my book group. Hardy has long been one of my favorite authors, and the audio version I'm listening to is delightful. The protagonist is a young farmer/shepherd Gabriel Oak. Much of the story revolves around his relationship with a beautiful young woman, Bathsheba Everdene. But throughout the novel we see Gabriel as the shepherd, the one skillfully, compassionately and lovingly caring for his flock. Early on Hardy describes his care of a newborn sheep:

"He returned to the hut, bringing in his arms a new-born lamb, consisting of four legs large enough for a full-grown sheep, united by a seemingly inconsiderable membrane about half the substance of the legs collectively, which constituted the animal's entire body just at present.

The little speck of life he placed on a wisp of hay before the small stove, where a can of milk was simmering. ... The lamb revived by warmth, began to bleat, and the sound entered Gabriel's ears and brain with an instant meaning, as expected sounds will. Passing from the profoundest sleep to the most alert wakefulness with the same ease that had accompanied the reverse operation, he looked at his watch, found that the hour-hand had shifted again, put on his hat, took the lamb in his arms, and carried it into the darkness. After placing the little creature with its mother he stood and carefully examined the sky, to ascertain the time of night from the altitudes of the stars."

Shepherds are ever mindful of their flock. Ever present, aware of their need. Rescuing those in distress. Caring for the weak, the lost, the broken, and returning them well and whole to the flock.

Jesus is our shepherd.

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  Matthew 9:36

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.  John 10:11 - 16

“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost." Luke 15:4-6

For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd,
and he will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” Revelation 7:17

We are like sheep. We need a shepherd. When we are lost we need found. When we are wounded, we need healing. When life is difficult we need His comfort. We always need his presence.

I Need Thee Every Hour
 Words: Annie Hawks

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord; 
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby; 
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.

I need Thee, O I need Thee;
O I need Thee every hour;
I need you Lord, O bless me now, 
My Savior, I come to Thee.

I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain; 
Come quickly and abide, or life is vain
I need Thee every hour, teach me Thy will; 
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill

I need Thee every hour, most Holy One; 
O make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son

I need Thee every hour, I need Thee every hour,
I need Thee every hour, I need Thee every hour.



And Jesus calls to us...
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Matt 11:28

Today let's not despise our weakness, let's delight in our ever-present shepherd, resting in Him alone. Trusting in His care.

No comments: