Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Spring

It has turned into a rainy afternoon.  The green of new life bursting from every tree, every blade of grass looks all the brighter against the backdrop of a gray sky.  It is a quiet rain unlike the downpour that woke up my youngest very early this morning.

I love rainy days.  It's as though it gives me permission to stay in bed a little longer in the morning.  To stay cuddled up in pajamas reading, instead of starting on the long list to be accomplished today.  To slow down my pace a bit, to be quiet.

I know tomorrow when the sun breaks through, the shrubs and trees that drank in todays rain will appear to open up before my very eyes.  Celebrating the sunlight, the warm air, spring.

I am awestruck at the beauty of God's creation.  I wonder at the possibility of a world more beautiful more perfect, as it must have been before the fall.  Perhaps that is the virtue of spring, it gives us hope, it reminds us of redemption, of resurrection.

No comments: